37th Narrow Gauge Convention Visitors

David signed up to host a layout tour on Saturday Sept 2nd 2017 for attendees of the 37th Narrow Gauge Convention, and broadened that invite for local model railroad clubs in Northern Colorado.

A&O friend Frolin from San Antonio tried last year on the same calendar days to visit the A&O, but was met with unanticipated trouble during the trip. He arranged to see the layout on Wednesday morning when convention registration was happening. Here we see him (right) with two of many others who joined him. David (left) came all the way from Australia for the convention! We have heard that there are between 1700 and perhaps as many as 2000 people registered! Yikes!

Eight other guests joined Frolin for a tour. Here we see congestion in the Kayford coal branch. This aisle is only wide enough for one at a time.

Here’s the photo line (or should we say video line?) watching a white covered hopper roll into the bowl of the A&O’s functional hump yard.

In still photos it is difficult to tell the difference between a car at rest in the bowl and one that is still rolling. Submitted for your approval, here is a really short video of one rolling down.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Model/Appalachian-Ohio-20/i-mKQkjQR/0/72db6609/1920/Hump%20Yard-1920.mp4

I’ll try to post more during the actual open house, although I will be busy helping guests with little time to shoot photos.

Here are a few snaps from the NG layout tour. First up, David quickly loads coal for a demo of the operating Whiting Rotaside dumper in Glenn Forge. The black cardboard outlines show where a barge and tugboat will eventually reside.

When times permitted, guests were encouraged to operate trains. Here an RS11 switches cars in Fillmore Heights. David mentioned that the O-scale sound from the locomotive was a big hit. It has a Loksound V4 decoder and a Tang Band speaker which puts out a lot of bass-heavy Alco burbles.

A guest tries his hand running the hump yard and servo-actuated retarders.

Jake Linn runs a freight manifest out of Linnwood, the “rain room”, and across the St. George River bridge.

Jake’s train starts down the long single-track grade towards Union Gap.

Another manifest freight rolls across the Ohio River behind a GP30 and GP35.

Overall the layout tour was a success, with about 100 visitors signing the guest book.

A couple more snaps.

Jerry runs through Mount Union. The buildings and mockups are by Rick Bacon.

Jerry enters Ricksburg and runs past the engine service terminal.

Levi (right) serves as road pilot for a friend he invited.

A frequent question I received: “How long have you been operating?” My answer was: “Well, the mainline was completed 2 weeks ago…”

Dave,
Thank you so much for your hospitality! What a treat to run trains on the A&O. I found that O Scale opens up a new dimension in operation. Especially switching cars which I was privileged to do for several hours at Fillmore Heights. Bob was very helpful in explaining the CTC machine as I looked over his shoulder for 20-30 minutes. Your crew is a happy one that reflects so well on your approach to the hobby which is on the highest level.
Sincerely, Dan Williams[quote=“Bob, post:2, topic:698, full:true”]
Here are a few snaps from the NG layout tour. First up, David quickly loads coal for a demo of the operating Whiting Rotaside dumper in Glenn Forge. The black cardboard outlines show where a barge and tugboat will eventually reside.

When times permitted, guests were encouraged to operate trains. Here an RS11 switches cars in Fillmore Heights. David mentioned that the O-scale sound from the locomotive was a big hit. It has a Loksound V4 decoder and a Tang Band speaker which puts out a lot of bass-heavy Alco burbles.

A guest tries his hand running the hump yard and servo-actuated retarders.

Jake Linn runs a freight manifest out of Linnwood, the “rain room”, and across the St. George River bridge.

Jake’s train starts down the long single-track grade towards Union Gap.

Another manifest freight rolls across the Ohio River behind a GP30 and GP35.

Overall the layout tour was a success, with about 100 visitors signing the guest book.
[/quote]

BTW,
I am the one with the biggest smile in the photos!!!
Dan W.[quote=“Bob, post:1, topic:698, full:true”]
David signed up to host a layout tour on Saturday Sept 2nd 2017 for attendees of the 37th Narrow Gauge Convention, and broadened that invite for local model railroad clubs in Northern Colorado.

A&O friend Frolin from San Antonio tried last year on the same calendar days to visit the A&O, but was met with unanticipated trouble during the trip. He arranged to see the layout on Wednesday morning when convention registration was happening. Here we see him (right) with two of many others who joined him. David (left) came all the way from Australia for the convention! We have heard that there are between 1700 and perhaps as many as 2000 people registered! Yikes!

Eight other guests joined Frolin for a tour. Here we see congestion in the Kayford coal branch. This aisle is only wide enough for one at a time.

Here’s the photo line (or should we say video line?) watching a white covered hopper roll into the bowl of the A&O’s functional hump yard.

In still photos it is difficult to tell the difference between a car at rest in the bowl and one that is still rolling. Submitted for your approval, here is a really short video of one rolling down.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains/Model/Appalachian-Ohio-20/i-mKQkjQR/0/72db6609/1920/Hump%20Yard-1920.mp4

I’ll try to post more during the actual open house, although I will be busy helping guests with little time to shoot photos.
[/quote]

Dan -

It was a pleasure to meet you and answer your excellent questions regarding how the A&O CTC machines works. I’m also glad you enjoyed the Alco sound while switching Fillmore Heights with an undecorated brass Car & Locomotive Shop RS11 #145.

If you signed up on the operators list I look forward to seeing you again when your schedule permits. On many layouts there is little or no chance for most operators to dispatch. Should you desire to do so, we can arrange a “training” session during normal ops, initially paired with a “half baked” (for now) dispatcher (and I include myself in the half category.)

Since the mainline was first completed only two weeks ago, we are just starting to learn how to operate this beast. Would you like to learn along side us?

Bob,
The idea is an intriguing one, along with a large degree of trepidation! We’d all be better off if my mistakes only affected the train I was controlling. But I would love to work in a training session on the CTC.
Thanks for the encouragement, Dan

Hey Dan.

It was a pleasure to meet you during the convention. It seemed that we were on the same schedule for all of the layout tours.

I look forward to having you join the operations too. As you could tell…we all love having fun on the A&O.

Thanks for posting the photos, Bob. I think they reflect that “a good time was had by all.” And it was a pleasure to meet you too, Dan, and have you man Fillmore Heights for us. I hope to have you here with us in future as works in your schedule.

And yes, this IS a happy bunch; blessed to know each other and have fun with trains.

David

Dave,

Thank you for the great time on Saturday! The A&O is by far the most amazing layout I have seen, the trackwork is just beautiful! The Dispatchers were very forgiving for a first time operator on the A&O and took time to explain how everything works. Thank you again for the great time yesterday! It was a pleasure to meet you and your team!

Bob,

Thank you for posting the picture of Me and Levi, it sure was a great time!

However, I seem to forget if I signed the guestbook but I know I put my name down for possibly participating in future operating sessions.

God Bless!

Cody Muse

So wonderful to see you all. :blush::+1: