A&O 2.0's First Open House

[size=150]Saturday afternoon, April 25, '09 was the date of the A&O 2.0 first open house for the Northern Colorado Model RR Club. About 50 folks showed up from 1-4 to check out the RR’s new quarters and progress to date. Unfortunately, no one remembered to take any pictures to record the event :cry: as we were all too busy talking trains. :laughing: Afterward I shot the following to archive the completion of the first two phases of construction. [/size]
David

WOW David, You sure have a lot of progress done. It’s looking great!! Maybe someday I’ll come out west and visit. I’m planing to start construction on my new railroad this summer just as soon as my RS-2 is completed.

Chester
Housatonic RR

OH and I love what you’ve done with the scenery.

Chester
Housatonic RR

Oh yeah, here’s another use for a switchstand.

Dave,

VERY nice progress. I will say “sorry” for not researching the threads and the A&O 1.0 first before asking this question but are you handlaying the staging and out of site tracks? If so why? Is flex-track not a considered option or just personal preference to the handlaid?

Chester and JB-

Chester- I like your switch stand mail box- Here’s the switch stand that serves the front of our house as well.

JB- I hand lay all my track. Flex track in O scale is prohibitively expensive for a layout the size of 2.0, plus I prefer the smaller rail (125 main and 100 all else) to the 148 that is flex. Also building turnouts to fit the location enables better use of the available space since I’m not constrained by the prefab turnout dimensions. It 's cheap, looks better, and is a lot of fun to do. It’s always been one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

Progress on 2.0 was intense for the last 4 months or so, with thanks to so many. Current progress is on hold as I take care of about two months worth of deferred house/yard projects (no help now!). Then I can go back to the basement.

David

[quote=“David”]JB- I hand lay all my track. Flex track in O scale is prohibitively expensive for a layout the size of 2.0, plus I prefer the smaller rail (125 main and 100 all else) to the 148 that is flex. Also building turnouts to fit the location enables better use of the available space since I’m not constrained by the prefab turnout dimensions. It 's cheap, looks better, and is a lot of fun to do. It’s always been one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

David[/quote]

Ah yes that makes perfect sense and “cents”. :wink:

David,
Thanks for sharing the photos! It look’s like you have made some great progress over the winter. I understand about the yard work. I hate when it get’s in the way of more important things. I only hope I can do as good a job with my scenery as you have done so far! But what method will you use for making your mountains? Please keep posting more photos for I use it to get myself moving along with my layout! I’m going to have to find a switch stand myself and use it for my mailbox as well.
Fred

Hi Dave:

Sorry I missed the open house that day :cry: . I’ll get over to see it soon, I’m sure. Keep up the good work!

Dave Zamzow
Fort Collins, CO