Construction photos

A very limited work session was held on May 5th, 2012. Since the last session, David installed the Whiting Rotaside rotary dump on foam vibration mounts and inside a temporary, protective cocoon. This side is the ramp down to the empty car receiving yard.

David built a sliding, removable access hatch for the water heater behind Glen Forge. Here he bores tunnels to NYC staging under the basement stairs.

Vince and David measure the new track plan in the town of Glen Forge.

Vince picked up where he left off last session, spiking industrial yard rails.

Bob returned the now wired hump yard control panel and brought-up servomotor retarders that David installed.

Small programming changes were planned to install a real truth table for the Tortoise turnout motors.

Temporary power from laboratory supplies made adjusting the retarder servomotors a little easier. To increase reliability the computer turns off the servos after a few seconds. The green pushbutton at the bottom of the photo is the retarder actuator button.

David - good to see you ‘back at it’ my friend :slightly_smiling:

Thanks, as always Bob, for the great photos!!!

A little more progress on May 12, 2012.

Vince laid rails and built a turnout in the Owens Corning plant. Curiously this was not the Corning plant, but it was a good photo of Vince.

David and Jeff built and adjusted lighting valences for Glen Forge. I’m not sure about Christmas T-shirt in May; that could be rushing things a bit!

Meanwhile, Bob finished installation of the hump control panel and (hopefully) flashed final firmware tweaks in the Arduino Duemilanove embedded computer. David built the enclosure and panel. Bob built the control computer and wired everything up.

The control pushbutton (green) appears to the left. The best spot for it has not yet been identified. Bob has been lobbying for a spot just to the right of the panel.

Does it seem strange that Bob now refers to himself in the third person? :question: Maybe Bob Dole knows.

Here we have another view of the panel as installed. In the background we see the crest of the hump and just to the left, the first retarder servo motor. The hump operator throttle sits in a clip to the left of the panel. An SW9 + former RS3 slug have been planned for initial hump service.

[size=150]Playtime![/size]

David shoves a cut up the hump where a covered hopper begins to uncouple for its descent down through the master retarder. David holds the retarder control pushbutton in his right hand. I have a feeling the button will end up on the end of a custom machined pendant and coiled cord so that the hump operator can walk around with it in a preferred hand.

David’s SW has a Lenz back-EMF decoder which gives perfect, smooth control even at a slow scale walking speed.

The car uncouples on fixed permanent magnets and starts the roll through the master retarder. Secondary retarders only actuate for the selected track to reduce wear on the model airplane RC servo motors and gear trains.

The only thing I know for sure is that a lot more playtime :laughing: will be needed before the hump yard control becomes final.

Rick thinks Bob, David, and everybody else are having too much fun by themselves! Rick thinks it’s time for him to play too.

Looking great guys! I can’t wait to see the hump yard working in person!

Rick - great to hear from you!! Are you back in Colorado???

Thanks for the update guys. And great to see Jeff too!

[quote=“Craig”]Rick - great to hear from you!! Are you back in Colorado???

I’ve been home for a week. Been hanging out with my wife and our kids and keeping a low profile. We have a vacation trip next week, and I won’t return to work till middle of June.

It’s good to be home![/quote]

Awesome to hear my friend!!!

Welcome back and Job WELL Done!!!

Here are a couple more progress photos. To get a smooth serpentine flooooooooow through River Gorge, David and Bill use the “bent stick” method to locate the stud walls that enclose the Kayford branch. Benchwork to the far left is the future home of the Morrison coal prep plant.

Rick and David hang wall studs from floor joists so that the floor slab can float.

At this point track work is about half complete, with well over 100 turnouts built in place. I’m way behind building control panel electronics and fast clocks.

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

It is great to see the wall down the Kayford branch taking shape :slightly_smiling:

And another good thing…to see Rick back in the work crew :slightly_smiling:

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!

It is great to see the wall down the Kayford branch taking shape :slightly_smiling:

And another good thing…to see Rick back in the work crew :slightly_smiling:

Thanks Craig! It is good to be home for sure! It is also pretty cool to see how far A&O 2.0 has come along.

Something has invaded the Kayford valley. Run away!

So I “washed” the image through my secret government software and was able to enhance and sharpen it. Turns out…

Who took my picture!?! I was having a bad hair day anyway.
David

your photo is interesting, it made me go back and take a look through the photos and I think I see something in that background in one of the photos.

Howdy everyone. We have another update to share on the progress of “A&O 2.0 The Layout” to show you. I gave Bob the day off from shooting photos so please forgive the much lower quality of these shots.

More to come below…

And here are what Vince, Bob and I were working on today.

More below…