Grandt Line quitting business

I just read on the Yahoo weathering forum that Grandt Line, maker of great windows, doors and NBWS for scratch building, is quitting business. They are accepting new orders until May 1st 2018.

Let’s hope someone else picks up the product line!

There is an announcement to this effect on their homepage! This is my biggest concern in the “hobby is dying” complaints. I don’t think the hobby is dying, but the loss of a couple giants in the supply line can really put a dent in it! Products like Grandt Line cross all scales and are a foundation type product that supports a lot of other manufactures.

I would be surprised if their product line and tooling isn’t picked up by another company and the goodies keep being available. At least some of the line! I imagine the brass burn out stuff has a very limited market, but the plastic products in the 4 main scales should be profitable as a complimentary offering for an existing injection molding business (hello, Intermountain…?). Of course an industry expert would need to make that call, I imagine some of the Grandt Line tooling is not exactly “modern” which may cause machine compatibility issues.

While I believe it is normal and natural for the hobby to change, I still believe that it isn’t going away. I am concerned though, that losing some of these foundation offerings will severely restrict the hobby in the future, and when the Ready to Run era is finally over (and it is slowing way down…), the lack of basic materials will limit the future of the hobby, at least till supply and demand catches back up.

There have been a few original major foundation suppliers in O scale that have come to their end over the last few years. NWSL, Kappler Scale Lumber, Keil Line, and Weaver to name a few. All of these have been the result of an individual retiring or passing. Luckily, the product of these companies has been of sufficient value that other individuals or established companies have stepped up and revived the product line so it is not lost. I hope this is the case for Grandt Line. In my opinion, they are one of less than a dozen true foundation companies of the hobby.

In opinion, there are about 10 foundations in the hobby. In no particular order; Irv Athearn, Cliff Grandt, Dale and Keith Edwards (Kadee), the Walthers family, Al Kalmbach, Lionel, the Schaffan family (Atlas), Fred Martin (NWSL), and modelers John Allen, and Allen McClelland. As long as these people’s products and inspirations are available, the hobby will continue! Most of these individuals have already passed, but their contributions have stood the test of time and the winds of change.

Here’s hoping for the future of the Grnadt Line!

Another one that came to an end was Right-O-Way. Fortunately when Lou Cross passed, he left the business to Jay Criswell.

True Bob, Jay Criswell has really stepped up and solidified several sources of supply for 2 rail O scale. He also took over the track stuff and drive parts from Protocraft. If he could figure out inexpensive turnout manufacturing, he could be the guy that main streams O scale. I think the high cost of turnouts is what kills O scale’s appeal to the masses. In HO, a reliable number 6 turnout can be had for $20. They equivalent in O scale is 3 to 4 times that price!

Agreed, Rick!

The price of commercial turnouts in O scale 2R is a barrier to entry for so many modelers. We are fortunate to know David, who will gladly teach locals how to scratch build in-place a custom turnout on-the-cheap. There are commercial milled fixtures for laying out switches, but the only one he uses helps him file rail for switch points.

Anyway so far I have spent most of my time under the layout in wiring and electronics, then building the CTC machine with help from a few. The only mainline rail I laid is on a new deck inside a brass pin-connected truss, using 8 spikes-per-tie counting the tie plates and guard rails. That’s fine with me.

I hope someone picks up the tooling. Maybe PSC. Not sure that I have ever bought any Grandt Line items ever. Had intended to get one of the HOn3 DRGW drop bottom gons. Never did. I think the one building kit I ever did had Grandt Line windows. It was a branchline/narrow gauge engine shed. My K27 did not fit through the doors. The RTR/ ready to install trend makes picking up the line uncertain. I’d hate to see them go even though I can’t picture using ay of their stuff.

Flex track is bad, too. 3 bucks a foot for O, 1 for HO more or less.

Structure scratch builders, and kit makers as well, would sorely miss Grandt Line. Even the most hardcore scratchbuilder doesn’t build his own window frames.
And this may be controversial on this page, but I have never been impressed by handlaid track, The skill to lay it? Yes, certainly. But to my eye it never looks right. The main thing is the lack of tie plates. Lack of tie plates is fine for logging and some narrow gauge but not a main line. Now, having said that, in O scale hand laid seems the only way to go unless you have won the powerball.

On a layout the size of the A&O it isn’t practical to do tie plates and 4 spikes/tie. In spots the A&O does that, such as all across the Ohio River bridge. On a new deck I made for a brass pin-connected truss just north of Joel Beach, there are full tie plates on the running rails and 8 spikes/tie. That took a while!

Back to Grandt Line, I plan to order a ton of NBWs and some window kits. If the company isn’t bought by someone else, “we have a friend in the urethane business.”

It was just reported on the Model Train Journal forums by RDSRR, a/k/a Dan Dawdy of O Scale Resource, that:

Great news about Grandt Line and San Juan. Doug Junda stopped by our Model Railroad Resource table at O/S Scale West and said that he and Robert Stears have purchased Grandt Line & part of San Juan. More later!

Very cool! When I talked to them on the phone the last day of business (placed an order!), they said they were working on a deal. Glad to hear it is happening. FWIW, I ordered all of the windows and doors for the Mt Union depot…about 50 total!