Greetings from The Netherlands

Dear David & Crew,

I have been following your old and new project for some time. It is not aonly the sheer size that is astnoshing (especially compared to European standards), but also the amount of detail you managed to put into it. Well done! It has really been a source of inspiration to me and I cannot wait the see it progress.

After years of modelling in H0 scale I switched to O scale about 2 years ago. Currently I am working on a layout based on the Dutch prototype in the 60’s. O scale is quite rare in The Netherlands and you have to build most things by yourself, including rolling stock. But… that is part of the fun. Here are some pics to look at if you are interested. The full story is at: floodland.nl/aim/index_en.htm

Thank you for sharing your project!

Huib Maaskant

PS. By coincidence I am just about to fly to the US to tour the southwest with my wife and daughter. Maybe we will get so see some real US trains, you bever know :slightly_smiling:

Hi Huib-

It’s nice to hear from you, and thank you for signing in on the guestbook- and for including pictures! Love the details.

I know we are spoiled here with often having larger spaces for our layouts than in Europe. But it still comes down to creating a visual treat right in front of the eyes, no matter what the size, and you’re on your way to doing that. Be sure to post more pictures as you go along. It’s always fun to see what others are doing, and get ideas.

Have a nice visit to the USA this summer, and if you’re passing through northern Colorado, let me know.

David

Hi David,

Thak you for your reply. I will add some more pics to this topic once I get home somewhere in July.

I am really looking forward to your duilding reports as you progress with your project. There is a lot to be learned by sharing information expecially from (semi-)professionals like you and your team. I work on my project section by section and I complete the scenery before I move on to the next section.

Right now I am about to start on laying the track in a new section I am doing. With that in mind I am intested to see how you construct your turnouts. Do you use templates? Do you design them with a CAD program like Templot? Or do you just completey improvise on the spot?

Thanks for the invitation. I would just love to see the A&O some day, but this summer we will stick to Nevada and California. I will certainly drop you a mail next time we come around.

Take care,

Huib

Huib-

I build the turnouts to fit the location. I don’t know if you saw this year’s Model Railroad Planning (2009) issue, but there was a sidebar in the article on A&O 2.0 on using splines to layout the track centerlines. This precludes any specific turnout #, and usually ends up producing turnouts with mild curves throughout, but not a problem as the trackwork then flows through the scene. There are many articles out there that describe building turnouts in place. Perhaps one day we’ll get some photos on the site as I build one just for reference.

Not so sure about us being “semi-professionals”, but we do have fun!

David

Hi Huib,

Nice details! Great to see O-scale modeling in another country. Have fun in the States, but just one thing…California is not in the “Southwest”…that’s OK though, I bet some residents wish they were… :laughing: OK OK, just poking a little fun at our California freinds… :slightly_smiling: (I have to, my brother lives in LA :smiley: )

Hi David,

If I understand you correctly, you just set out the center line and then kind of improvise the rest. Interesting method. If you have any photos to illustrte the process, that would be of great help to several people.

Hi JB,

Ah alright, so the southwest would be any state in the southwest, excluding California? :slightly_smiling:

BTW: we have made it to Idaho by now.

Bye!

Huib

Huib,

Perhaps when we begin construction again and laying out track locations I will get some pictures taken and show how it’s done. I’ll try to remember. I need to get stuff like this on the construction page anyway.

Hope you’re having a good time in the States.

David

[quote=“huib”]Hi David,

Hi JB,

Ah alright, so the southwest would be any state in the southwest, excluding California? :slightly_smiling:

BTW: we have made it to Idaho by now.

Bye!

Huib[/quote]

Something like that… :smiley: Hope you are enjoying the States…and a happy father’s day all!

Enjoy your trip!

Don’t miss a dinner featuring fresh Idaho Salmon (if it is in season, I no longer remember the best months as it was some time ago.) For me, a great salmon dinner spent with talented colleagues was one of the highlights of a business trip to Boise, ID.

That was in years prior to the revival of my railroading passion, so I cannot give any guidance for the railfanning/trainspotting opportunities.

Wishing you the very best.

Hi all,

Since you are so busy laying track, I thought it might be fun to share some pics of track laying the Dutch way with you. The tracks are based on the NP46 type of track, which was mainly used on branch lines. The sleepers are cut from Abachi wood, the track is from Peco and the small parts were produced by Wenz (a German O scale company).

I can’t believe how fast you are progressing. I just love to see more photos :slightly_smiling:

Greetings,

Huib Maaskant
floodland.nl/aim/index_en.htm

And a few more…

Nice trackwork Huib. I’m gathering track supplies even as I write this for my railroad. I really enjoy handlaying track and this O scale stuff is good for detailed track, two rails, two tie plates, four spikes per every tie plus the rail head will be notched every 39 ft with a joint bar glued to the side of the rail, all switch components are Right-O-Way switch parts. Rail is code 125.

More to come.

Chester

Beautiful work, Huib. The coloring of the RR ties (sleepers) is impressive, along with the tie plates, etc. On a small layout space it really is the details that make the difference; and make it seem larger than it is as well. I’m not sure if the A&O 2.0 will have time for such track details given its size. We’ll see.

Glad to hear you are carrying the torch for O Scale in Europe. And doing a superb job at it.

I’ll get some more 2.0 construction photos posted as we get toward the holidays. I’ve been faithfully taking pictures as I go along. Just a lot of benchwork puzzle in process at the moment.

Keep us posted as your rail goes down!
David

Hi David, Chester,

Thank you for your replies!

I do not know Right-O-Way. Do they have a website?

BTW Funny you call it a small layout space (no offence taken in any way). In The Netherlands 6 x 5.5 Mtrs (19.7 ft x 18 ft) is considered very large :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Keep up the good work!

Huib

Huib,
Thanks for sharing your photos of your progress! Your track work looks great! So I guess if your layout is considered big then most only have a one or two section layout with a lot of staging??
Fred

Huib,

Give me your email address and I will send you a .pdf of Lou’s catalog. Write to me at “2footer_at_comcast_dot_net”. Same goes for anyone else that would like a copy.

Chester

Hi Fred,

A typical layout size would over here would be between 3x4 to 4 x 5 meters. Larger scales (larger than H0) are seen rarely here. Market share of 0 or 1 gauge is probably only a few percent. G scale is slightly more popular as some people tend to use it outdoors. H0 scale is about 60% or the market, next is N with roughly 20% of the market.

O scalers usually build two to four 120 x 60 cm modules. Once of twice a year there is a meeting where everybody can hook up his modules. I do not know anybody with a large O scale at home.

Chester: you have got mail!

Grtz!

Huib

Hi all,

I have been checking the A&O log regularly for updates ever since I found this website. I must say: this project keeps getting better and better. You guys are doing an absolutely job!

I have included a few photos of the Dutch O Scale layout I am working on. It’s about the size a of a stamp compared to the A&O, but there is only one person building it (me). Keep up the good work!

Grtz,

Huib

And a few more for your enjoyment…

Greetings Huib,

Wow! What beautiful work. Your models are amazing. I love the details, including the person with the cane standing, looking out the house window thru the curtains. Nice touch. Viva la O Scale! And how did you do the thatched roof? When I was in the Netherlands last summer I saw several of them.

Do you have a club or place where you can showcase your work. It needs to be seen!

Thnaks for sharing,

David