Rail Codes

Hi,

I’m curious to know what codes of rail you use throughout the A&O?

Also do you spike every tie?

Thanks Daryl Blake

Daryl -

Welcome to the forums! I’m no expert, just one of the work crew. David is the builder/owner.

What I know is that the mainline is code 125 rail, all hand-laid. Secondary track, including the yards and sidings, are code 100. To me the smaller rail gives an illusion of the tracks appearing longer than they really are, even though they are spaced 5’ scale instead of P48.

Spike spacing simply seems a matter of what’s needed mechanically. On a fairly straight stretch, the rails might be spiked every 4 or 5 ties, always in pairs on each side of a given rail. In complex track, there may be one or even two spikes on each side of a rail driven into each tie, not counting spikes holding down switch guard rails, frogs, etc. David is not afraid of any built-in-place track work, including things such as a 3-way into a lap switch, or a curved switch with a moving-point frog.

That said, on the massive ~12 foot long double-track Ohio River bridge, there are two spikes per rail per tie per track, with full tie plates, excepting the guard rails. Running rails are Code 125 with smaller code 100 for the guard rails. I understand laying those rails was a back-burner.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks kindly for the info. I figured it would be a mix of codes depending on the application.

Yes I’ve noticed some very interesting track work in a few places.

The A&O is truely as amazing layout. I hope to see it one day in the flesh.

Regards Daryl