I thought that I would just start a new post so I could put up my pictures so far of the progress of the work on my engine. I’m still waiting on quite a few parts to show up for work to start on my drive (namely being the drive itself…heheheh) so I figured that I would get started on the walkway frame, dynamic break, engine mount and brass frame work as well. I’m hoping to order the drives this week, along with a few odds and ends for detailing.
Here is the adjusted frame and engine mount. To get correct positioning of the frame and walkway I needed to remove those 5 small ‘feet’ that were originally on the mount itself. I still need to get the 2/56 screws and nuts to mount this bad boy, but we are getting close. Note the skirt has been completely removed. I will have to add a small wing around the fuel filler port, which I will start on next. I will add it on the walkway frame and I will also fill in the hole as well.
Here is the adjusted mount and Dynamic Brake housing. The Dynamic Brake housing went through quite a bit of changes. In doing a little research I found that the C&NW didn’t use the Dynamic Brakes. However when they bought more of the GP-9’s from other roads, they had the brakes installed. So instead of redoing the body itself, they just removed the dynamic brake and then patched over the vents and fan port. So that I what I have done here. I removed the grates completely and patched the hole. Now little did I know that I didn’t have any putty, so I will have to run to the hobby shop tomorrow and get some. Once I have it I will fill in the grate gaps and then patch any holes present in the top hatch area. I won’t really worry about doing a great job on the top hatch as the pictures I have seen clearly shows the plugged hole. So I want folks to realize that it was plugged.
I have done some work on the frame with Bob’s guidance and have installed the “I Beams” running the length of the frame. The next step will be to work on the adjusted fuel tank and mount it as well. Once I have the fuel tank done (with the speaker installed) I will post more pictures.